Donkey’s and Facts
In our daily, we normally insult or joke with our friends calling them as a donkey or an ass but you know what? Many of us don’t know that donkeys are fantastic animals with an excellent memory and herculean strength.To find out about this I have decided to visit the small farm in Perth Australia
The farm keeper Ms. Nancy tells me that the world has a real misconception about donkeys.She says everyone looks down on them.
She said donkeys are highly intellectual and if they sense danger they will not go forward unlike horses who will!This behavior of donkeys is out of their intelligence. This behavior has made people think that donkeys are stubborn.
She tells me donkey like to live in herds and they are very social animals.They are very friendly to humans and love to play too.
Here are some interesting facts about Donkeys 🙂
- China has more donkeys than any other country in the world.
- In the U.S., donkeys are kept as pets or to breed mules.
- Did you know donkeys have an excellent memory? They are capable of remembering a place they have been to or other donkeys they met 25 years ago!
- A donkey can live for more than 40 years.
- In case they sense something wrong while traveling, they will simply not move ahead and will start digging in their heels. This is a behavior out of their intelligence. This behavior has made people think that donkeys are stubborn.
- A donkey is capable of hearing another donkey from a distance of 60 miles in proper desert conditions. This is possible because of their large ears.
- Donkeys are considered to be all-terrain animals.
- A donkey is stronger than a horse of the same size.
- Donkeys are herbivores eating different types of vegetation
- The young of a donkey is called a foal. A young male is a colt and a young female a filly. The correct name for a female donkey is jenny and the correct name for a male donkey is jack.
DONKEY AND its history
- The wealth of the Egyptians was due to the precious metals carried from Africa by donkeys.
- Donkeys were used to carry silk along the ‘Silk Road.
- In Greece, donkeys were used for working on the narrow paths between vines and their work in vineyards spread as far as Spain.
- The donkey was associated with the Syrian God of Wine, Dionysius.
- In Southern Spain, there is a ‘giant’ pure breed of donkey called the
‘Andalucian-Cordobesan‘, which can reach up to 16 hands high that are as big
as a racehorse.
“Donkeys, in my opinion, are the most misunderstood and under-appreciated of man’s domesticated animals,”.
I personally think “They’re very kind, sweet and thoughtful animals. It’s actually their nature which helps us get more back in touch with a calm state of mind and a simple way of life.”
Even today in some countries donkeys are being abused and used for carrying goods from one place to another.
I request every reader that if possible, let’s educate the world to be kind towards these innocent animals.
After all, donkeys can’t speak, but we can!
Please Love Donkeys